If I can add mushrooms to every dish, I’ll do it. It goes with just about any spice and is a victor when raw or cooked. In this pie I paired it with onions, thyme, honey and balsamic vinegar which enhances the richness of the produce.
It is a definite crowd pleaser – who doesn’t love pie?
2 onions, sliced in rings
1 teaspoon garlic
250 g sliced portebellini mushrooms
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon thyme
300 g puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Fry the garlic and onions until brown.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and fry until mushrooms are soft, but not soggy.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, honey and black pepper.
- Place your onion and mushroom mix in a shallow bowl fit for the oven.
- Roll out your puff pastry and place it over the bowl like a lid. Beat the egg and spread generously over the pastry – this allows it to brown and crisp nicely.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Turn the pie over on a serving place so that the pastry is at the bottom. Serve with chicken skewers and a green salad.