A few weeks back the food community in countries all around the world celebrated World Egg Day to help raise awareness of the benefits of eggs. What a wonderful and versatile ingredient; I tend to celebrate it weekly!
This recipe sees eggs paired with mushrooms and brinjal, a tasty combination which is emphasized by the thyme and oreganum. A frittata is a dish that can be served morning, noon or night and it’s so quick and easy.
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
30 ml milk
1 teaspoon oreganum
2 teaspoons thyme
200 g sliced mushrooms (I used button mushrooms)
1 large sliced brinjal
1 teaspoon garlic
4 chopped spring onions
- Fry the mushrooms, brinjal and garlic in a bit of oil. The brinjal tends to suck up a lot of oil, so use a little more than usual.
- Add the oreganum and thyme and remove from heat when brinjals and mushrooms are soft.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and cottage cheese. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the mushrooms and brinjal in a shallow dish. Pour the eggs over it and sprinkle the spring onions on top of it.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees and serve with fresh bread.