We recently undertook a 14-hour road trip to the beautiful coastal town of Still Bay. This called for good old padkos, and lots of it. With the car packed to full capacity, which included our beloved staffie, Kleinbrak, I had no choice but to keep the many containers of provisions at my feet, and sometimes even on my lap. It was good, real good!!
The night before I prepared a stack of meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, ham and cheese sandwiches and these yummy chocolate and oats cookies.
As we admired the ever-changing landscape of the South African countryside, the supplies disappeared – and 9 hours into our trip there was not a single crumb of food left (Kleinbrak was mostly responsible for this 😉 ). Oh how I love road trips!
125 g butter
500 ml sugar
125 ml cocoa
125 ml milk
750 ml oats
250 ml coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Stir the butter, sugar, cocoa and milk over a medium heat until the sugar has melted. Let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix the oats, coconut and vanilla essence into the chocolate mixture.
3. While still hot, make bite sized balls and arrange on a non-stick baking sheet.
4. Let it cool in the refrigerator for about 2 hours and serve.
* Recipe adapted from Kook en Geniet