We’ve been experiencing quite a few rainy days and thunderstorms the past few weeks and although pancakes are mostly associated with this type of weather, I opted for a hearty chicken curry. This is just the dish to enjoy with your loved ones, cuddled with a blanket and lots of cushions on the couch.
I often use lemon with chicken and fish, but in this recipe not only softens the meat – there is a distinct hint of lemon that compliments the spices wonderfully. You can add any veggies to the curry, but I found that the carrots and gem squash absorbs the flavours best.
4 chicken thighs, cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoons red curry paste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons garam masala
zest of 1 lemon
400 ml coconut milk
juice of 1 lemon
Handful of baby carrots
Handful of baby gem squash
1. Fry the garlic and onion in a splash of oil. When the onion turns transparent, add the chicken and fry until almost done.
2. Add the turmeric, red curry paste, cayenne pepper, garam masala and lemon zest. Fry until the chicken is cooked.
3. Add the coconut milk, carrots and gem squash and let it simmer on a low heat for about half an hour.
4. Pour in the lemon juice and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Serve with basmati rice and some fresh coriander leaves.