Frieda Kahlo is not the only big thing to come out of Mexico. I am such a big fan of their cuisine. These quesadillas are comforting, flavoursome and really easy to prepare. The chillies add a zing that surprises with every bite, while the cheese is so good it actually makes you want to cry.
Here is why you should eat chillies:
1. It lowers blood sugar levels.
2. Chillies help improve heart health and protects against strokes.
3. It provides pain relief and reduces inflammation.
4. It lowers the risk of stomach cancer.
And my favourite:
5. Chillies help to burn fat.
Click here for more.
500 g beef mince
1 teaspoon garlic
1 chopped onion
1 tablespoon fruity chutney
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried herbs, I used oregano and basil
4 tortilla wraps
2 chopped red chillies
2 chopped jalapeno chillies
4 tablespoons cream cheese
Handful of grated mozzarella cheese
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
1. Fry the garlic and onions in a splash of olive oil. When the onions are transparent, add the beef mince.
2. As soon as the mince starts to cook, mix in the chutney, tomato paste and herbs. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Place two of the wraps on two separate pizza pans. Generously spread cream cheese on the base of the wraps. Spoon some mince on top of the cream cheese and place some chillies on top of the mince.
4. Add the mozzarella and cheddar cheese on the chilli mince and place the remaining wraps to close your quesadillas.
5. Grill the quesadillas in the oven for about 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and serve with sour cream and avocado.
* Makes two quesadillas