It has been raining non-stop for the past three weeks. Although at first the rain made for cooler weather – which was fantastic as we experienced temperatures deep into the 30’s – the constant drizzle reminds me why I choose to live in South Africa and not England, for instance.
With the rain also comes the constant urge to eat. And I don’t mean healthy stuff like fruit and veg, I’m talking full-blown pancakes, pastas and potato dishes. And cheese. Lots of cheese. This potato and brinjal dish is very rich; I suggest serving it with chicken and some greens. You can also omit the pecorino cheese which will bring down the cheese radar.
3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large brinjals, thinly sliced
50 g blue cheese
Handful of grated pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
400 ml milk
- In a saucepan, mix the butter and flour into a paste over a medium heat. Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Beware of lumps.
- When the sauce is thick and starts boiling, add the blue cheese and lots of black pepper.
- In an ovenproof dish, lay out a layer of potatoes, a layer of brinjals, and another layer of potatoes on top of the brinjals. Continue layering until the potatoes and brinjals are done.
- Top the potatoes and brinjals with the blue cheese sauce and bake for about 1 hour at 200 degrees.
- Sprinkle with pecorino cheese and bake for another 10 minutes or so.