This spinach and chorizo pasta dish was created on the spot as I was not able to go the the shops due to heavy rain. So I had a peek in the fridge and decided that this should work if I added a tin of tomato and cheese. This is the great thing about pasta. You can pair it with just about anything and results will be outstanding, well, most of the time. Luckily this combination was a resounding success. There were some left over, so I packed it in for lunch – and this often happens with pasta too – it was even better the next day.
300 g pasta (I used shells)
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic
1 chorizo, sliced
200 g portebellini mushrooms
300 g spinach, chopped
400 g tinned tomato
100 g feta
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. When cooked el dente, drain and set aside.
2. Fry the garlic and onion in a splash of oil. Once the onion turn translucent, add the chorizo and mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add half of the spinach and when it’s wilted add the tomato, basil and oregano.
4. After 5 minutes add the other half of the spinach and let it simmer for half an hour.
5. Crumble the feta into the mixture and add the cooked pasta. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot with some parmesan cheese.