We recently enjoyed a relaxing weekend with family at a self-catering resort not far from our house. Every now and then one needs to break away from everyday routine and enjoy the remarkable sights and sounds that nature has to offer.
I wanted to take some homemade treats to nibble on and discovered these yummy cookies in my trusted Kook en Geniet. There are many variations of these cookies, but since I’m married to a full-blown chocoholic I really didn’t have much of a choice. (I actually haven’t made anything chocolaty in such a long time, so I didn’t mind in the least.) The original recipe makes use of pecan nuts, but I used almond nibs which were divine.
250 g butter
500 g icing sugar
5 ml cinnamon
2,5 ml ginger
15 ml instant coffee powder
60 ml cocoa
2,5 ml vanilla essence
1 pack Marie biscuits
100 ml almond nibs
1. Melt the butter over a low heat and mix in all the dry ingredients. Remove from the stove.
2. Whisk the eggs and add it to the warm mixture together with the vanilla essence.
3. Crush the biscuits. Add the biscuits and almond nibs and mix well.
4. Pour into a shallow square dish and leave it in the refrigerator over night.
5. Cut into bite-sized pieces and serve with milk, tea or coffee.