Potatoes are one of those really versatile ingredients. You can cook them, bake them, fry them, mash them – it’s really hard to mess it up and it goes with just about anything. A good potato salad is a blessing when you entertain loads of people and this one was a real hit with our family. It is a safe bet as it doesn’t contain any strange ingredients and every one of the flavours shine through. I am, however, thinking that I should try it with a few chopped jalapenos next time, just for a bit of zing. 😉
500 g baby potatoes, halved
250 g bacon, chopped into chunky pieces
250 g smooth cottage cheese
100 g mayonnaise
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
5 spring onions, chopped
Handful of chives, chopped
- Cover the potatoes in water and a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Cook for around one hour or until the potatoes are soft. Drain and let it cool.
- In a separate pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Cover the eggs with water and boil for around 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the cottage cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl with the mustard.
- Once the potatoes are cool, mix in the mayonnaise mixture, the bacon, spring onion and chives.
- Peel the eggs and slice them in half lengthwise. Arrange the eggs on top of the potatoes and bacon and garnish with chives.
- Serve with a nice piece of meat from the grill.