Flapjacks are such a wonderful treat, whether you enjoy them for breakfast, lunch or a simple addition to a cup of rich coffee. You can top them with just about any savoury or sweet ingredient to satisfy every desire.
I had some peanuts left from this scrumptious strawberry and caramalised peanut salad I made the other day that were begging to be drenched in maple syrup. The crunchy peanuts complimented the soft texture of the flapjacks and were rounded off beautifully with the sweet sticky syrup. Absolutely divine!
125 ml sugar
250 ml milk
30 ml oil
500 ml flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
Peanuts to top (I used caramalised peanuts)
- Beat the eggs and the sugar and add half of the milk with the oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well with the egg mixture.
- Add the other half of the milk.
- Bake on a medium heat stove in a crepe pan: drop a spoonful of the mixture in the pan and turn when it starts making bubbles. It should take about two minutes to be done.
- To assemble, layer a few flapjacks and drench with maple syrup. Top it off with some peanuts and serve with a strong cup of coffee.