It doesn’t often happen, but sometimes I have an extra hour or two on a weekend to spend in the kitchen. This time I use to prepare something that can serve as a weeknight dinner. Soup is one of those wonderful things that gets better the longer it rests and perfect for a cold evening. I have made this soup more times than I can count – it is a real winner. I think the reason my hubby likes it so much is because of the mushrooms; he’ll be happy if I add mushrooms to every single dish I prepare!
5 potatoes, cubed
250 g bacon bits
250 g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
500 ml chicken stock
500 ml milk
- Fry the bacon and mushrooms in a splash of oil until the bacon is nice and crispy.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth and cook for about an hour.
- Roughly mash the potatoes and add the thyme and some black pepper.
- Add the milk and let it simmer for about an hour.
- Enjoy warm with this bread.