I know that snails aren’t everybody’s cup of tea, but every time we go to a restaurant I order it for a starter. I love indulging in the creamy garlic sauce and melted cheese, being surprised by a chewy snail… and when nobody’s looking – I lick out the little escargot holes, just in case I missed a spot of sauce.
For this reason I just had to try it in my own kitchen. And what a triumph! It is extremely simple and the result is mouth-watering. If you are a fan of our little shelled friends, I would truly recommend attempting this recipe.
175 g can of snails
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
400 ml milk
4 teaspoons garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, mix the butter and flour into a paste over a medium heat. Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Beware of lumps.
- When the sauce is thick and starts boiling, add the garlic and oregano, mixing it in well.
- Add the snails, covering them with the garlic sauce.
- Spoon one snail at a time into your escargot plate. Cover with cheddar cheese and grill for around 5 minutes.
- Serve with a few brown bread slices.