Every so often my hubby has to drive through to Bela Bela for work. It is a long drive with a timid landscape and uninteresting roads. But when arriving in the town of Bela Bela, he rewards himself with a bag of the best biltong you’ve ever tasted. He usually also gets a few bags for the house for those times that you need to snack on something that is not a banana or a cookie.
So on occasion we have half a cow’s worth of biltong in our pantry (I’m really not complaining). For this reason I had to try my hand at biltong and savoury muffins. They are very tasty and when drenched in butter when emerging from the oven – well, let’s just say it’s hard to find anything that compares to it.
250 g biltong, sliced (I used beef with some fat)
80 g Parmesan cheese, grated
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
300 g flour
15 ml baking powder
250 ml milk
50 ml butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and egg.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture together with the biltong and cheddar cheese.
6. Place spoonfuls of dough into a muffin pan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
7. Serve with a sweet cup of tea and lots of butter.