I have a question about spinach. Does Popeye ever share his can of green stuff with Olive Oyl? I never quite could understand how this sailor man could stomach spinach from a can. On the other hand, just imagine what kind of strength he would’ve had if he ate a handful of fresh spinach. Probably best not to find out.
If I were Olive Oyl I’d stay as far away from that bully Bluto as possible and cook me and Popeye a big casserole of this fragrant lamb and spinach curry. It is comforting and spicy and perfect for the current freezing weather we’re experiencing.
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons garlic
600 g lamb
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
400 g baby spinach
Handful of fresh coriander
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger in a splash of oil. Once the onion turns translucent, add the lamb and brown.
- Add the spices and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and half a cup of water and simmer for an hour.
- Stir the spinach and coriander in the meat and tomato and simmer for another hour.
- Serve with basmati rice and some fresh coriander.