I was hoping for bright skies, cocktails and flip flops by now. A little overeager? You betacha! I’m sick of the cold and miserable days: dressing in five layers of clothing (excluding my scarf, mittens and beanie), being uncomfortable constantly and shivering like a baby penguin. I can’t take it anymore.
So I’m rebelling against winter in the form of this coconut and coffee ice cream. Although it is free of any dairy, it is voluptuous and smooth and very, very tasty. I recommend eating it with two pairs of gloves and wrapped in a blanket. Take that, Winter!
2 cans coconut milk
250 ml brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder (I used Nescafe Classic)
4 egg yolks
- Warm 1 can of coconut milk, brown sugar, vanilla essence, salt and coffee in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the coconut milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the coconut milk.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications.