It’s a scorcher, and guava ice cream is just what the doctor ordered! I would strongly recommend that you eat directly from the ice cream container today – if you waste any time scooping it onto a sugar cone or into a bowl, chances are it will be melted by the time it reaches your mouth. That would be really, really (really) sad.
This ice cream, although very creamy, is not very sweet and actually reminds me of a frozen yogurt. The fruity flavour allows it to be paired with milk chocolate, which will give it that sweetness if that’s what you’re looking for. But that it is really, really (really) delicious, well, that’s settled.
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
1 can guavas in syrup
- Warm milk, half the cream, salt and syrup of the guavas in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream and chill for 12 hours.
- Whiz the guavas in a blender for a few seconds, chopping them into small pieces.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Add the chopped guavas mid-freezing.