A few interesting facts about South Africa:
- South Africa has deserts, mountains, escarpments, plateaus, grasslands, bush, wetlands and subtropical forests.
- South Africa has the longest wine route in the world.
- Approximately 900 bird species are found in South Africa alone, which represents 10% of the world’s total bird species.
- South Africa has the most luxurious train in the world, The Rovos Rail.
- The deepest mine is a gold mine in South Africa.
For more click here.
Also, paptert – a truly South African side dish to braaivleis. It is a delicious blend of pap and sweet corn topped with mushrooms and bacon, and smothered with cheese. Nothing beats this when it’s shared with friends on a sunshine day.
400 g mealie meal (coarse cornmeal)
750 ml water
2 teaspoons salt
2 cans creamed sweet corn
1 can tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic
1 green pepper, chopped
250 g bacon, roughly chopped
250 g mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon mixed herbs (I used oregano and thyme)
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a large pot. Add the mealie meal, a little at a time, stirring thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat and cook for one hour. This is now pap. Stir in the sweetcorn once cooked and set aside.
- In a separate pan, fry the onion and garlic in a splash of oil. Once the onion turns translucent, add the bacon. Then add the green pepper, mushrooms and the herbs.
- To assemble the paptert, spoon the pap into a large ovenproof dish. Evenly spread the tomato over the pap. Dish the bacon mixture over the tomato and top with cheese.
- Bake at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes. Serve with braaivleis and an ice cold beer!