I recently came across this quote from Barbara Kingsolver (author of one of my favourite books – The Poisonwood Bible): “Once you start cooking, one thing leads to another. A new recipe is as exciting as a blind date. A new ingredient, heaven help me, is an intoxicating affair.” Don’t you just love that?
Waffles, vanilla ice cream, strawberries and almonds – drenched in honey. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
The waffles are hot and fluffy, a doughy cloud to cradle the delectable toppings. The subtle sweetness of the vanilla ice cream is complemented by the tartness of the strawberries and the surprising crunch of the almonds. And then it is brought into harmony with a generous drizzle of sweet and sticky honey. Take each bite slowly, allow the ice cream to melt in your mouth and the honey to amplify the marriage of these ingredients. Make it last as long as you possibly can.
For the waffles
125 ml sugar
250 ml milk
30 ml oil
500 ml flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
- Beat the eggs and the sugar and add half of the milk with the oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well with the egg mixture.
- Add the other half of the milk.
- Pour large spoonfuls of dough into your waffle pan and bake until some steam escapes from the machine – it takes around 3 minutes. Your waffles should now be done.
For the vanilla ice cream
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
150 g sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream, vanilla essence and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications.
1. Place two scoops of ice cream on a warm waffle.
2. Add a handful of halved fresh strawberries and a few flaked almonds.
3. Drizzle with honey – it sweetens the strawberries and makes for a delicious dessert!