A while back my cousin came to visit my hubby and I. She is such an inspiration; she’s super creative and really enjoys life and all it has to offer. She is one of those people who were just born cool, you know? And to top it all, she is a qualified chef. Ta da!
Now for this little food blogger something like that is huge! As in hugely intimidating! I pulled out all the stops, but when you want to impress things just don’t seem to come together. I know this from experience, again and again. There were successes though: my basil pesto and pumpkin seed bread and prune and sherry ice cream were the two favourites (my vote was for ice cream, always!). Soooooo, one night my cuzzie offered to make dinner. Big smiles all around!
Let me just say this: this chicken cordon bleu recipe will change your life forever and ever and ever and never will chicken be raised to such a high level ever again. Ever. You’ll dream of it every night for the rest of your days. This chicken is perfected with a smoky slice of ham, a sharp cumin flavoured cheese and an earthy basil and spinach pesto. And then it’s crumbed, fried for a minute and baked to perfection. Please make this, please – as an ode to cousins worldwide (but none as cool as mine). 🙂
4 chicken breasts, deboned
4 slices of smoked ham
Handful of grated cheese (my cousin used a cumin flavoured white gouda)
4 tablespoons basil and spinach pesto
100 g flour
4 eggs, whisked
100 g bread crumbs
1. Roll the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until they are quite flat.
2. Place a slice of ham on top of each chicken breast, add a tablespoon of pesto and top with cheese.
3. Fold the chicken breast in such a way that the ham, pesto and cheese serve a the filling and the chicken resembles a cylinder.
4. Cover the chicken in flour, dip in egg and then cover it in bread crumbs.
5. Heat a pan with a splash of oil. Fry the chicken for around 2 minutes, sealing it on all sides.
6. Remove from the pan and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
7. Serve with a green salad and enjoy!