Some desserts make for the most beautiful photographs worthy of a whole board on Pinterest. Just look at this cheesecake with strawberries and chocolate, and these waffles with cream caramel ice cream. My take on a saucy plum tarte tatin was all over the place, though, and appetizing pictures were unfortunately not in the cards. But don’t be fooled for a minute. This dessert is sweet and saucy with a flaky crust of puff pastry that will leave you wondering who let the dogs out. One bite, and all resistance crumbles!
15 plums, pitted and quartered
2 tablespoons of sugar and 200 g sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
5 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 roll store-bought puff pastry
1. Mix the plums, 2 tablespoons of sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg and vanilla essence. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Whisk the butter and 200 g of sugar and place at the bottom of a pie dish. Place the plum mixture on top of the butter and sugar and bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes.
3. Cover the plums with the puff pastry and bake for another 30 minutes.
4. Let it cool for about half an hour. Turn the pie over on a serving plate so that the pastry is at the bottom.
5. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla custard.