Sometimes you need a little somethin’ to relax you after the pressures of a day at the office. When that somethin’ is combined with a deliciously sweet tropical fruit like mango in the form of ice cream, it may just be the best thing since brandy-filled chocolates.
This mango and vodka ice cream is a must-have for your freezer at all times. When the mood strikes, you can simply scoop a few balls into a mug – because who has time to search for the ice cream bowls in times of need – sit back, and indulge in the rich and creamy goodness. I think this would work well in a popsicle mold as well, to make serving it even easier.
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
150 g sugar
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
50 ml vodka
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Blitz the mangoes and vodka in a blender and set aside.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Add the mango and vodka mid-freezing.