So, I kinda missed Meat Free Monday. Did you feast on a vegetable lasagne, green salad or some form of tofu (<– not my thing at all)? I planned to make a stirfry noodle dish, but it got late and I got busy and then I realised there were no noodles in the pantry. I refused to make anything else on the grounds that it was Monday, so instead we got take-out sushi. That’s right, I got my chop sticks game on! 😉
What I am trying to say is that since things didn’t quite work out according to plan last night, Meat Free Monday just became Meat Free Tuesday. A brinjal and red pepper sandwich with cream cheese and cheddar cheese and fresh basil. You would not believe the mind-blowing taste of this sandwich even if I could articulate the creamy and juicy goodness of every bite. This Tuesday might just turn out to be the best Monday I’ve ever had.
2 ciabatta rolls
1 brinjal, cut into 1cm disks
1 red pepper, sliced
Handful of cheddar cheese
Handful of basil
- Fry the red pepper in a splash of oil, adding salt to taste. Once the red pepper is cooked, set aside.
- Fry the brinjal disks on both sides in a very hot pan with only a touch of olive oil. The disks should be slightly charred.
- Cut open the ciabatta rolls, warm them up or toast them and apply some butter generously on both sides.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread cream cheese on the bottom of the roll and top with some cheddar. Add a few disks of brinjal and a handful of red pepper. Sprinkle some fresh basil over the sandwich.
- You can round it off with black pepper and an ice cold beer.