We’re having the perfect picnic weather. I’ve been daydreaming about unfolding my tartan picnic blanket on lush green grass, unpacking the picnic basket and laying a spread of chicken sandwiches, strawberry salad and ice cold pineapple beer. When your picnic consist of a few vegetarian friends (here’s looking at you Joanne), baby marrow, courgette, zucchini – call it what you will – when combined with cheddar cheese make for a delicious picnic muffin. Slather it with a good smear of butter and you’re in picnic heaven.
This weekend my daydream should become a reality. Any takers?
200 g baby marrow, grated
250 g Cheddar cheese, grated
300 g flour
15 ml baking powder
250 ml milk
50 ml butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Lay out wax paper in a muffin pan (this recipe makes six large muffins).
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and egg.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture together with the baby marrow and cheese.
5. Place spoonfuls of dough into the wax paper and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. Serve with lots of butter.