I woke up this morning thinking it was Friday. Imagine my disgust when I realised it was in fact Thursday and that there were two full working days left in this week. It wasn’t pretty.
A good ol’ hearty breakfast was all that was needed to get that spring back into my step. And with that I mean bacon, although the rest of the delicious ingredients didn’t hurt. This breakfast is on the healthy side with the eggs being poached and the toasted rye bread that is equal to like a zillion vitamins and minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, Vitamins A, B, C and D). C’mon Thursday and Friday – give me your best shot!
Handful of baby spinach
200 g bacon
4 slices bread of rye bread, toasted
- Fry the bacon in a pan. When it’s cooked, set aside and sauté the spinach in the bacon fat.
- When the spinach wilted, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Half fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Crack open an egg into a poach pod and place in the water – the poach pod should be floating. (You can insert as many poach pods at one time as you have available.)
- Steam the egg for five minutes. Remove from water and tip out of the poach pod.
- To assemble, arrange the spinach and bacon on a slice of bread and top with an egg. Serve with black pepper and Tabasco sauce.