Monday morning traffic is bad, and if there was a collision of some sort the pile-up is even worse.
My week, however, started with singing and dancing and all-round happiness. You see, I made myself a new playlist for the car yesterday and got started on it this morning. I’m talking old school fun: Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, OMD, and yes, some good ol’ Michael Jackson. Don’t judge – his stuff is like antibiotics for road rage (blame it on the boogie, man!). The half an hour I spend in traffic each morning might just become one of my favourite times of the day (until the new playlist is not so new anymore).
To continue this happy-go-lucky mood, I’m opting for something fast, easy and super tasty for supper. Chicken, mushrooms and green peppers – with just a hint of garlic – in a creamy sauce tucked inside a warm pita. Bonus points if your able to eat these without any utensils. 🙂
4 chicken breasts, deboned
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
2 green peppers
200 g mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
400 ml milk
1. Fry the onions and garlic in a splash of olive oil over a medium heat. Once the onions turn translucent, brown the chicken.
2. Add the green peppers, mushrooms and thyme and sauté for about 10 minutes then set it aside.
3. In a saucepan, mix the butter and flour into a paste over a medium heat. Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Beware of lumps.
4. When the sauce is thick and starts boiling, add the chicken mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Heat the pita and cut it open then fill with the creamy chicken.