I’ve been seeing quite a lot of marshmallow recipes on the interwebz the last few weeks (you have to check out this one – yummy!). If you see something delicious often enough, you start craving it and eventually you (and with you I mean me) become uncontrollably obsessive. #sorrynotsorry
And so this recipe was born.
Warm waffles that are crispy on the outside and soft in the inside are generously topped with the creamiest vanilla ice cream, squishy and sweet marshmallows, and then drizzled with hot chocolate sauce. Can you taste it in your mind’s eye? Wait ‘till you taste it for real!
For the waffles
125 ml sugar
250 ml milk
30 ml oil
500 ml flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
- Beat the eggs and the sugar and add half of the milk with the oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well with the egg mixture.
- Add the other half of the milk.
- Pour large spoonfuls of dough into your waffle pan and bake until some steam escapes from the machine – it takes around 3 minutes. Your waffles should now be done.
For the vanilla ice cream
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
150 g sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream, vanilla essence and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications.
For the chocolate sauce
80 g milk chocolate
50 ml full cream milk
- Warm the chocolate and milk in the microwave at a very low temperature.
- Stir regularly until the chocolate has melted.
- Place two scoops of ice cream on a warm waffle.
- Add some marshmallows and drizzle chocolate sauce over.