It’s cloudy, it’s misty, it’s cold and it’s Monday. This most certainly calls for pie – a comforting creamy chicken pie with carrots and peas and a flaky crust. And I’m ditching the side salad today, there is no place for fresh greens on a plate of comfort food.
This pie is packed with shredded chicken, a potato (because I needed even more starchy goodness) and a handful of baby carrots and peas. I drenched it in a creamy white sauce – nobody likes choking on pie crust – and added some ground pepper. Pie makes me so happy!
4 chicken breasts, deboned
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
1 teaspoon thyme
1 potato, chopped
Handful of baby carrots
Handful of baby peas
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
400 ml milk
Store-bought puff pastry
- Cook the chicken in the oven for around 20 minutes on 180 degrees, seasoning with some salt and pepper, thyme and grainy mustard. Once the chicken is done, pull it apart using two forks and set aside.
- Boil a small pot of water with the potato and carrots. Once the potato softens, drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix the butter and flour into a paste over a medium heat. Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Beware of lumps.
- When the sauce is thick and starts boiling, pour it over the chicken and add the potatoes, carrots and peas.
- Roll out the puff pastry and line the bottom of your pie dish with half of the pastry.
- Dish the chicken filling on top of your lined pastry. Cover it with the other half of the pastry.
- Whisk the egg and brush the pastry cover. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.