I am super excited! My cousin started blogging! You have to go check out What to do in the Garden Hood. 🙂 The blog features adventures in the Garden Route: which places to visit, where to eat and then a few homemade recipes (she’s a qualified chef, so I’m really stoked for the stuff to come). She’s a total inspiration and I’m so proud to call her family.
On to today’s recipe … comfort food to the max! Pasta in the form of penne married to one of my favourite veggies, broccoli, that is drenched in a creamy cheesy sauce and topped with bits of crispy bacon. You need this cheesy bacony pasta in your life, trust me. It is easy to prepare and great for a weeknight meal or a weekend comfort while you lie under the covers and watch Game of Thrones (no spoilers please, we haven’t started watching the fifth season yet). And also, bacon. 😛
300 g penne pasta
200 g broccoli florets
250 g bacon, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
400 ml milk
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
1. Cook the pasta in 500 ml boiling water and some salt. After 10 minutes, add the broccoli to cook with the pasta. Once cooked, drain the pasta and broccoli and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, mix the butter and flour into a paste over a medium heat. Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Beware of lumps.
3. When the sauce is thick and starts boiling, add some salt and pepper and a handful of cheese and mix with the penne and broccoli.
4. Fry the bacon bits in a splash of olive oil until crispy.
5. Serve the pasta hot with bacon bits on top.