Vanilla ice cream drenched in a hot chocolate fudge and salted peanut sauce. Top it with a cherry for good measure. I say you can leave the main course and have this dessert for dinner. Park off on the couch with a blanket and a book and indulge in the decadence that is this sweet and salty dessert. Dish up a few bowls in advance, because once your first helping is finished you will want to have easy access to the next one.
For the vanilla ice cream
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
150 g sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream, vanilla essence and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications.
For the chocolate fudge and salted peanut sauce
500 ml sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons golden syrup
200 ml milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200 g salted peanuts
- Mix the sugar, salt and cocoa and add the syrup and milk.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring it to a boil and add the butter.
- Set aside to cool for a bit and add the vanilla essence and salted peanuts.
- Place two scoops of ice cream in a bowl.
- Drizzle the hot chocolate fudge with salted peanut sauce over the ice cream and top with a cherry.