Truth be told, the fact that yesterday was a public holiday totally threw me off my game. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed the extra weekend-day, but I don’t feel in charge of the coming week at all. So while I try to get my bearings back, we can snack on these cheesy muffins with extra cheese and caramelized onions and more cheese. And cheese. Did I mention the three cheeses? Feta, parmesan and cheddar cheese. Say cheese! 😀
3 onions, sliced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons feta cheese crumbs
Handful of grated cheddar cheese
300 g flour
15 ml baking powder
250 ml milk
50 ml butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Lay out wax paper in a muffin pan or use a non-stick spray (this recipe makes six large muffins).
2. Saute the onions in a splash of olive oil. Once the onions turn translucent, add the brown sugar and fry until sticky. Set aside to cool.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the feta, parmesan and cheddar cheese.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and egg.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture together with the onions.
6. Place spoonfuls of dough into the muffin pan, top with more cheddar cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
7. Serve with lots of butter.