Melon and honey ice cream. Because it’s summer. Because I had half a melon left after making a delicious melon and strawberry salad with bacon and feta. Because I can make myself believe it’s healthy … it contains fruit and honey after all. And well, because it’s ice cream!
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
150 g sugar
2 tablespoons honey
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
Half a melon (cantaloupe)
- Warm milk, sugar, honey, half the cream and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Blitz the melon in a blender and set aside.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Add the melon mid-freezing.