When two of my favourite things are churned with a creamy vanilla custard = happiness. I mean, roasted macadamia nut and fudge ice cream … what is not to like? It’s a play between textures and flavours that turns every bite into an exciting adventure. You’ll want to swim in it. 😉
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
100 g sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
100 g macadamia nuts
100 g fudge, cut into small cubes
- Place the macadamia nuts in an ovenproof dish and roast at 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Keep a watchful eye to ensure that they don’t burn. When done, set aside to cool.
- Warm milk, sugar, honey, vanilla essence, half the cream and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Add the nuts and fudge mid-freezing.