Chocolate eggs and bunnies and hot cross buns and jelly eggs and more chocolate bunnies. Oh, is this not just a fantastic time of the year? My contribution for the weekend’s Easter get-together is this decadent dark chocolate ice cream. It’s super chocolatey (if you can stand more chocolate after the bunnies) and super creamy. As I’m typing this I want to sandwich it between two hot cross buns. My oh my… that would be amazing!
Hope you have a fantastic Easter Weekend! And be safe on the roads if you are traveling.
250 ml full cream milk
400 ml cream
100 g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cocoa
240 g dark chocolate, melted
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream, cocoa and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan, add the chocolate and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Serve with fresh mint.