After a weekend of celebrating Heritage Day with lots of meat on the braai, I’ve never been so glad for meat-free Mondays. This vegetarian cauliflower and mushroom stirfry noodles with cashew nuts, sesame seeds and spring onion is better than any Chinese take-out I’ve tried (and I llllllove Chinese take-out). It is just packed with flavour, different textures and goodness – an awesome way to start the week.
200 g egg noodles
1 teaspoon garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 chilli, chopped (optional)
1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
250 g button mushrooms, chopped
100 g cashew nuts
2 teaspoons ginger
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 spring onions, chopped
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Fry the garlic, onion and chilli in a splash of olive oil.
- Once the onions turn translucent, brown the cauliflower and mushrooms. Stirfry for about five minutes and add the cashew nuts and ginger.
- Add the sherry, soy sauce and oyster sauce and sauté for a few minutes, making sure all the veggies and nuts are covered with sauce.
- Serve the stirfry hot with the noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions.