Let’s just say this ice cream pancake pairing with Wellington Wines Shiraz is berry berry nice. 😀 A jammy strawberry and mixed berry ice cream makes for a beautiful pink dessert that I topped with chai seeds for that hint of cinnamon I like with my pancakes. If you like to spice things up a bit you can replace the chai with aniseed. Yes please!
The acidity in the W Shiraz is quite high and marries very well with berries. It is chock full of jammy fruity flavours with a bit of a spicy after taste and you should taste its intensity on the sides of your mouth. You can opt for a berry sorbet with fresh berries instead of a creamy ice cream to enhance the tannins in the wine.
If you are in the area and would like to visit Wellington Wines for an ice cream pancake and wine pairing during December 2016, you can email email@example.com for more information.
Wellington Wines #WhereWinesAreBorn
You can also take a look at the delectable vanilla ice cream pancake pairing with Wellington Wines Chardonnay and a summery mango ice cream pairing with Wellington Wines Chenin Blanc.
For the pancakes
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons W Sauvignon Blanc
½ cup of oil (I used canola oil)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Cold water as needed
- Mix all the ingredients well. Add water to get the same consistency as a runny cream.
- Let it cool for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat a non-stick pan and cover the base with a thin layer of batter. Once the edges start turning up, flip the pancake over.
- Keep pancakes warm on a plate on a pot of steaming water.
For the berry ice cream
250 ml full cream milk
500 ml cream
100 g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
1 tablespoon mixed berry jam
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
- Warm milk, sugar, half the cream, vanilla essence and salt in a saucepan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour back into the saucepan and heat. Stir with a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan to form a custard. When the spatula is covered when removing it from the mix, the sauce is ready.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and add the rest of the cream.
- Chill for 12 hours.
- Churn your ice cream according to your machine’s specifications. Add the strawberry and mixed berry jam mid-freezing.
- One pancake + one scoop of berry ice cream + chai seeds
- Enjoy with a bottle of W Shiraz.